Whether you want to keep your property cool with ample shade or want more privacy, with trees you can achieve both. If the project seems too big for you, help is just a search query away. Search for “tree service near me” and you’ll have plenty of options. But before that, let’s check out some fast-growing trees for shade and privacy:
1. Northern Red Oak – It’s a common sight in North America and has a majestic appearance no matter where it’s planted. The strength of this tree lies in its adaptability according to the environment. It’s also extremely hardy and can stand up to a lot of abuse. The tree can provide you a lot of shade since it spreads out its branches with lush foliage and grows very quickly. Moreover, the foliage turns to a beautiful shade of red and brown during the autumn season and creates a mesmerizing spectacle.
2. Hackberry – Hackberry is such a hardy tree that you can find it anywhere from east of the Rockies in Canada to subtropical Florida. It can survive in all sorts of weather conditions, soil types, and climates. Moreover, it fixes itself to the ground with firmness to tolerate strong winds. So, no matter where you are, you can grow this shade-providing tree in your yard. Moreover, the fruits from this plant are very nutritious and also attract birds and other wildlife to your property.
3. River Birch – If you live in an area with heavy rainfall, consider the River Birch for landscaping your yard. As the name suggests, it usually grows along the river and has been rising in popularity as a landscaping tree due to its fast growth and tolerance to wet soil. The tree is also known for its resistance against the birch borer beetle.
4. American Sweetgum – Planting this tree is like having an organic art piece on your property. It has star-shaped leaves, a compact crown, and also certain special growth called wings. You may have seen this prized species in large yards, college campuses, and parks. The shade provided by this tree is also nothing to scoff at and during the right season, it creates a very interesting star-shaped fruit. During the fall season, the foliage of this tree also turns into vibrant colors of red, orange, yellow, and purple.
5. Pin Oak – Another tree-like hackberry that can tolerate various soil conditions, humidity, and heat. You can even plant it in an air-polluted city and it would do just fine. However, its most striking features are its strong wood, fast growth, and dense dark shade during the day. You don’t need to worry too much about this tree since it also resists most kinds of pests.
6. Leyland Cypress – The Leyland cypress is one of the most popular screenings and privacy plants in the landscaping industry. However, you’ll invite a lot of pests if the plant isn’t suited for your yard. Make sure you ask the tree service company before you plant it on your property. It features beautiful feathering foliage and has slender growth that will look gorgeous against your fence. Make sure that you change the composition of the soil to well-draining and plant it in areas with ample sunlight.
7. Emerald Green Arborvitae – WIth temperature fluctuations, even privacy trees can lose color and turn ugly for a few weeks. That’s why the Emerald Green Arborvitae is such a delight to homeowners looking to landscape their boundary for privacy. It stays bright green even in frigid temperatures and can protect your home while providing tranquility to the prying eyes of nosy neighbors. You can grow it in all sorts of soil, from loamy and sandy to acidic and silty. The plant loves full sunlight but can survive easily in partial shade.
8. Goldspire Ginkgo – The lush green plant gets its name due to the drastic change in color to golden yellow during the autumn season. This golden hue is further accentuated due to its columnar growth that can reach as high as 15 feet with a width of just over 5 feet. If your backyard has limited space, you can plant this tree for privacy without sacrificing real estate. However, remember that you need to water this tree quite often and get it pruned every 3 or 5 years to maintain its tight columnar form.
9. Hybrid Willow tree – If you live in US FDA hardiness zones 4 to 9, the hybrid willow tree is a perfect fit for privacy-focused homeowners. The fast-growing tree can grow really tall, as high as 45 feet and you can plant them horizontally to create a neat row of privacy screens. If the tree doesn’t need to compete with its own species, in a small plot of land, then it can grow even higher up to 75 feet and can stand as much as 10 feet wide. The long upright branches of this tree along with its narrow leaves can grow around 10 feet every year and can readily adapt to most soil conditions. You can find it growing in the wild in almost every part of the United States, except Minnesota and Florida.
10. Eastern White Pine – One of the fastest growing evergreen trees can add as much as 24 feet to its height every year till it reaches its full height of 60 to 80 feet. Moreover, it also creates a spread of 20 to 40 feet and thus allows you to have privacy without tightly packing them in a row. While the tree prefers moist soil, it can grow even in the rocky ridges where moisture is scarce and also in wetlands.
By now you’re familiar with numerous types of trees that can add shade and privacy to your property. Moreover, all of them grow quickly so that you don’t have to wait long to see the results. If the landscaping project seems overwhelming, you can get help by searching “tree service near me”.