As the weather starts growing warmer, it is important to begin spring cleaning around your home. There are very basic tasks that this can involve, such as cleaning up outdoor patio furniture from outside, and this can help get rid of the winter blues quickly. While the entire spring season focuses on aesthetics, there are certain steps that homeowners can take to prevent pest invasions and damage.
Spring is the perfect time to make a thorough inspection of your homes and to fix all issues like filling cracks and crevices. A small crack can also become more expensive in the long run. Once these cracks get larger, they provide a way for ants and other insects to enter.
During the spring, various insects such as yellow jackets, wasps, hornets, and other various insects might appear. The process of identification and prevention of these pests is important for the safety of you and your family.
Common Stinging Insects
Yellowjackets, bald-faced hornets, and honey bees are some common insects that are found at home. These small wasps are usually black and yellow in color. They are often thought to be bees. These yellowjackets can sting which is a painful experience for humans. Bald Faced Hornets are very close in appearance to yellow jackets and get their name from their black head and white face. These can be aggressive and also pose a threat to humans who may wander too close to the nest. The best known Honey Bee is the western honey bee which is often domesticated for the production of honey. Though honey bees are stinging insects, they are not much of a threat to humans unless provoked. They can usually only sting once before losing their stinger.
Common Tips You Can Follow
It is possible to recommend simple and easy ways to get over such pests. However, it is not always easy to get rid of such pests. We can still provide some tips that can help get control over some pests in a short duration of time.
- One can seal cracks and other small openings along the foundation of the house.
- Keep the branches of any trees and other plants away from the house.
- Clean kitchens by wiping the counters with disinfecting wipes and empty the garbage often.
- Remove any kind of moisture or standing water from within or around the home.
- Keep food stored in different kinds of sealed containers.
- Avoid leaving dishes of food out for long periods of time.
- Keep containers clean and sealed, both indoors and outdoors.
- Get rid of any broken or torn screens in windows and doors that might allow small insects to get through.
These are some of the best tips that one can follow while cleaning up and getting ready for spring. Apart from this, one can always get the help of an Austin, TX pest control specialist to get receive professional services that rid their home of incests and other pests.